Black Butte School Overview
Nestled in the heart of the Metolius Basin, Black Butte School is a public K-8 school. The school offers a dynamic educational experience that leverages the local community and the unique bioregion of the Metolius Basin to enhance student learning. The field-based curriculum blends classroom lessons with real world experiences and adventures to foster students' genuine curiosity, knowledge, and confidence.
Our Philosophy and Values
Our core values: community, curiosity, learning, stewardship, and wellness, are the foundation of how we educate and empower our students.
- an inclusive and positive community and a healthy environment enables all students to thrive;
- inter-disciplinary programs organized thematically provide authentic opportunities for learning;
- place-based experiences and adventures help students to learn about themselves, their communities, and the greater world in memorable and transformational ways;
- well-designed projects engage students in solving real-world problems that benefit the community and empower them to develop leadership skills and confidence; and
- educational experiences need to be dynamic, opportunistic, individualized, and holistic in order to develop the whole child emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, and physically.
Black Butte School District prohibits discrimination and harassment on any basis protected by law, including but not limited to, individual’s perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation , national or ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, familial status, economic status or veterans’ status, or because of the perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, familial status, economic status or veterans’ status of any other persons with whom the individual associates.